My fiancé and I have been together since high school, we moved in together last May and we’re completely and utterly happy together. So why wait to get hitched? The thought of a long engagement was so frustrating to us! No, I am not pregnant and he’s not joining the military!! Ha! But we knew we didn’t need over a year to plan our special day. Let’s not kid ourselves though – all girls, single or not, have their entire wedding planned before the ring comes!
I totally get why people want a long engagement. Money, planning, less stress, the dress and alterations to it, places are booked up until further out and plenty of other good reasons, we just didn’t see a need for all that nonsense.
I did have a ton planned but I pretty much 86’d all my ideas (I wanted a destination wedding) and we got straight to planning. A ton of my ideas and decor came from Pinterest, obviously, but my mother and sister were/are a huge help! Collaborating with them on ideas and making decor decisions has been a ton of fun! I never wanted to be “bridezilla” or let wedding stress strain a relationship so it was just good fun with my girls. Not to mention it’s really brought the three sides of the families together. Our family is getting bigger and bigger and I couldn’t be happier!
I’m not saying “have a short engagement because it’s better”. I know every girl and couple have their reasons and those are totally valid. But Cole and I decided on a short engagement and think it’s perfect for these reasons (and then some):
- We know! When you know, you know. Ya know? We’ve been together for so long and we’ve lived together long enough now to know that we’re in it for the long haul.
- The wait would be absolutely unbearable for us! I cannot wait to marry Cole and I think, almost daily, that if I had to wait a year or so to marry him I might actually go crazy!
- I don’t need the crazy extravagant things that some girls prefer on their wedding day. I’m not much for stressing over unimportant things and the most important thing to me on that day will be marrying my best friend.
- We’ve got the help, and are letting them help. More times than not the bride has help but is picky and doesn’t want other people doing a whole lot. Not only are our families helping a ton but Cole has helped tremendously as well!
- Why wait? Need I say more?
As I’m writing this post, we have 2 months till “I do”. It seems like not a whole lot of time to get the final details in place but boy is it going to kill me to wait that long!!
If you’re newly engaged, soon to be engaged or even if you’ve been engaged for a while, think about what’s really important to you and stay focused on that. It’ll make your special day that much more special!