I’ve always loved to read. My mom used to read to my siblings and I all the time, usually every night before bedtime and if she didn’t, we begged her to. My fiance jokingly calls me a nerd when I read but a good book can consume all of my free time when I can’t put the damn thing down and I’m not the slightest bit ashamed!
It’s honestly really exciting to me when I see a movie preview of a story that I read in a Novel or Non-Fiction book! Most of the time the movie turns out to be a decent depiction of the book and what I imagined characters and scenery to look like. Sometimes not so much.
Here are some of my absolute favorite books that were produced into movies or TV shows and which one I think was better!
- Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
- The book is a little bit darker than the movie targeted more towards children. It’s absolutely consuming. There were nights I stayed up until 1 or 2am because I couldn’t stop reading. There are actually 4 Jurassic series movies and they all take snippets of the book into the events of the movie. The book also provides a really good background of where and how Jurassic Park got started that you don’t really find out about until Jurassic World!
- Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events by Daniel Handler
- This is definitely targeted towards children. My mom read it to my siblings and I when we were in Elementary School. It was turned in to a movie a few years back and they just created a TV series on Netflix! Which is really good, I binge watched that whole first season. There isn’t a second season just yet, hopefully soon!
- The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
- This is the only movie where I truly felt that the book was better. I saw the movie in theaters and somewhat regretted going to see it. The book is so heartwarming and beautiful and the movie was good, just not as good as the book.
- A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
- Bill Bryson is one of my favorite authors. He’s a travel writer (talk about dream job) and his sense of humor shines in his books! That being said, this movie had be crying laughing in the theater. Every time I watch it or even think about some of the more hilarious scenes I chuckle. A must read and see.
- The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
- This book is super depressing and dark but it’s really really good. The movie is less intense than the book, as usual, but both are really good.
- Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
- The movie and book are pretty neck and neck for me on this one. The movie has some amazing actresses in it that do an amazing job! It was a happy coincidence that my imagination while reading was a lot like the director who made this movie.
Obviously there are a TON more but these are just the one’s that I’ve read as well as watched and just absolutely LOVE!
Comment with your favorite book that turned into a movie or TV Series!!